about us | workshops | message boards       
quarterlifecrisis.com    people blur   
a one-stop info-shop for recent grads & beyond      
   lifeworkplay   

Everyone is a victim

I'm doing this contract for a NPO, and although I thought it would be fun/interesting, it's not. It sucks. The organization is for abused people, but the organtization does "information", but no actual therapy-type work, or fundraising. It deals with "information." It provides "factsheets" which are just not factual, gets bills signed by senators who readily admit they didn't even look at what they're signing...

AND you would think a NPO would be dedicated to honesty, fairness, equality, etc., but this one is really, really, really, not. To me it seems to keep itself alive by making people think they're abused.

I had never worked with a NPO before. I know you can't judge all by the actions of one, but wow.
    "Can you keep a secret? I'm trying to organize a prison break. I'm looking for like an accomplice. We have to first get out of this bar, then the hotel, then the city, and then the country. Are you in or are you out?"
    --Bill Murray, Lost in Translation

what's an NPO? :confused:

I'm guessing non-profit organization?

oh. then it sounds like a waste of space. there are a lot of nonprofits that actually DO stuff, like crisis hotlines, carpenters' shelters, big brothers, etc.

is it possible that you are just in the branch that is NOT hands-on work?

I remember hearing about these quacks who would plant false memories in their clients and trick them into believing they were abused. These people can really destroy stable families. Also, their methods of therapy are WEIRD...lots of pseudo-hypnosis and tearful revelations...I hope that's not the extent to which your NPO goes...

No my NPO doesn't do astrology or hypnotism, but they don't do therapy, hotlines, fundraising, etc...

They are kind of a "public interest group," in a way, but the line between "public interest" and "propoganda" is really, really blurry with this one. Ideally public interest groups should, if they are acting on behalf of public interest, refrain from using tax money to push personal agendas out into the world. But I digress... what organization is going to come clean about their operations when it clearly benefits from them?

Oh well, I should just move on once I finish with this one...
    "Can you keep a secret? I'm trying to organize a prison break. I'm looking for like an accomplice. We have to first get out of this bar, then the hotel, then the city, and then the country. Are you in or are you out?"
    --Bill Murray, Lost in Translation

Originally posted by Heroic1
    I remember hearing about these quacks who would plant false memories in their clients and trick them into believing they were abused. These people can really destroy stable families. Also, their methods of therapy are WEIRD...lots of pseudo-hypnosis and tearful revelations...I hope that's not the extent to which your NPO goes...
    um, are you sure this wasn't some psycho-thriller sci-fi movie?

(if it is, do you remember the name? I'd enjoy watching it)

Not a movie, although I'm sure you could find one like it!
    I'm more than a little skeptical of so-called recovered memory research, based on what I have seen/researched on this.

Originally posted by GetMeOuttaDC

um, are you sure this wasn't some psycho-thriller sci-fi movie?

(if it is, do you remember the name? I'd enjoy watching it)
    It probably is somewhere....but it is also a real phenomenon. I had to do a research paper on the whole "false memory" thing for a Cognitive Psyc class I took, and some of the research is fascinating. Some of it I don't buy into, but some seems legit. It makes a lot of sense when you think about the impact the power of suggestion has on memory. (most notably researched based on the reliability of eye-witness testimony being influenced by things like the phrasing of questions).